Saturday, July 24, 2010

Crepe-tactular, Crepe-tastic, Crepe-licious


While my parents were away in Seattle Jason and I decided we wanted to have crepes for breakfast. They were DELICIOUS.

I made a cream cheese mixture and topped it with fresh raspberries (from our raspberry "forest" in the back yard), blueberries and honey. Om,nom, nom, nom. I honestly don't think there is anything much better than homemade crepes for breakfast.

For any of you who'd like to attempt making my oh so delicious crepes here is the recipe. Just FYI I don't give this recipe out to anyone because i'm selfish and if everyone knows how to make crepes as delicious as I do then i'm good for nothing.

Sweet Crepes:
Combine in a blender until smooth:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 large eggs
2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of Salt
Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. (I know this sounds stupid but do it, for some reason the crepes just turn out better!)
Place a crepe pan on medium heat. Coat the pan with a little butter or cooking spray. Pour approx 2 tbs of batter into the pan, lifting the pan off the heat and tilting and rotating it so that the batter forms an even, very thin layer. Cook until the top is set and the underside is golden. Flip the crepe and cook until the second side is lightly browned. Remove the crepe and place on wax paper. Cook the rest of the crepes.
Use immediately or let cool, wrap airtight, and freeze for 1 month.

Creme cheese mixture:
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
1 block cream cheese
confectioners sugar

In a mixing bowl whisk the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks begin to form. While you are whisking soften the block of cream cheese with an electric mixer. Once the cream has peaked and the cream cheese is soft fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese. After you have successfully folded the whipped cream and cream cheese add confectioners sugar until it is as sweet as you like it. You can also add a little vanilla, but I forgot it this last time and I think I liked the flavor better without it.